COCONUTS! They’re everywhere! They’re big, heavy, hairy and DELICIOUS. Oh, and did I mention, it’s been said that 150 deaths by coconut are reported a year? Although that sounds more like an urban myth, what is fact about these sensational seeds is they are really, truly a certified Super Food. And I’m absolutely, positively SURROUNDED by them!!! I love my life!
Coconuts are in their own species, Cocos, and don’t dare call this super seed a fruit! Believe it or not, coconut palms (Cocos nucifera) are a prehistoric plant related to grass. So yes, cocos have been getting gobbled down long before Vita or ZICO or O.N.E were boxing it up and calling it gourmet.
Here are the top 10 reasons you should crack open and chow down on coconut TODAY:
- Young coconut water is almost identical to human blood plasma. In fact, in WWII both sides of the war used this life water for emergency plasma transfusions. Top up your plasma, ya’ll! It is sterile, does not produce heat or destroy red bblood cells and is accepted readily by all bodily systems. Incredible!
- The meat of a coconut improves digestion and absorption of vitamins & amino acids. Give the other healthy parts of your diet a pick-me-up power shot.
- Made up of 90% (+) of raw saturated fat – strengthen up your cells!
- Help in regulating and supporting healthy hormone production – you knew there was something sexy about that tropical temptation!
- Increase metabolism – add coco to your diet plan!
- Support cardiovascular health. Take it to heart.
- Coconut water is one of the best, natural electrolyte drinks and according to Ayurvedic practices has a cooling effect on the body. Try it out after a work out or on a hot summer day.
- Great for liver and kidney detox as well as fighting nanobacteria and bad calcium production.
- All around immune system support and boost. Coconut meat and its oils are: antibacterial, antifungal and can help fight off viruses.
- Annnnnnd da da da daaaaa the all time fav of tropical 20-somethings world-wide: a natural cure for the humid climate hangover! Yay!
If you think these benefits are amazing, check out more about how Coconut water or Coconut Oil can help you. Even the husks and roots of the tree and shell of the nut itself have beneficial uses. The trunks, branches and palm leaves are used in construction in many locations around the globe and have been for centuries. In Sanskrit, the language of ancient India and of yoga alike, the coconut plant is referred to as kalpa vriksha which translates to “the tree that supplies all that is needed to live.” This amazing miracle of the earth has very much earned it’s nickname The Tree of Life. Get a lil’ loco with coco and go coo coo for coconuts NOW! Your body will thank you later.
Thanks to David Wolfe’s “Superfoods” for inspiring the research. My favorite beet-coconut soup recipe follows…. A great pick-me-up for 1st, 2nd & 3rd chakras not to mention a great iron boost:
BOMB DIGGITY BEETROOT-COCONUT SOUP: Vegan, Wheat, Soy & Gluten free
- 2 large cooked beets or 4 to 5 small/medium beets
- 2 cup of coconut milk (freshly made if possible, if not 1.5 cans)
- 4 cups of vegetarian stock for base (gluten/wheat free if available)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of FRESH dill
- Small scotch bonnet pepper (whole, not diced) if you desire a spicy kick
- pinch of salt
Blend the beet, coconut milk and veggie stock either stovetop or in your vitamix. Heat with the spices as directed and feel free to make any adjustments on the spicy or saltiness of the dish. Enjoy!
Published and written original work by Kristin Gilbert Ramirez of OM Puerto Viejo.